Monday, April 13, 2015

Backpack Dash 5k Recap

Another weekend, another race! I think this is the first time ever that I have done a race two weekends in a row. This 5k was tentatively on my calendar because my friend Bethany's mom planned it, but I didn't actually decide if I was going to do it or until about Thursday night. At that point I decided that getting an official 5k time this early in the year would be a good benchmark for the rest of the year. :)

This race happened in Rossville, a small town about a half hour away from Purdue. I was pretty happy that the start time wasn't until 9 am, so I didn't even have to get up that early! I had asked my parents if they wanted to come and walk it (it was officially a run/walk), and I was very happy when they said yes! My mom has walked one other 5k before, but this was my dad's first. Yay to healthy choices. :)

A picture of my parents and I at my wedding--one of the only good pictures of us (I'll have to change that!)
I got to Rossville around 8:30, so had plenty of time to get my race bib on and decide what to wear. It was 35 degrees, so I was trying to decide if I wanted my light-weight zip-up hoodie on, or if I wanted to go in a t-shirt; I decided on keeping the hoodie, which I think was the right choice even though I was getting pretty toasty by the end. The course was out and back--I ran the first mile too fast at 8:14, so slowed down quite a bit for the next two miles (8:23, 8:39) and was able to speed up a little for the end. I finished up with 26:17, 8:25 pace...not a PR, but not far off, and my best time without D running next to me telling me we can go faster. :) Overall I was pretty happy with how it went!

Beth and I after the 5k. 
My parents walked together and finished around 51:20, which is a pace of about 16:30...not too bad! I was very happy that they decided to come and participate. :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great race!! It's nice that your parents got to walk it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope they start doing more run/walks with me. :)

      Delete