Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Fitness Bucket List!

Today Kristina over at Blog About Running put up a post about her Running Bucket List. I thought this was a neat idea, so I decided to make my own Bucket List. Mine also includes items about triathlons and other random fitness things, so I'm calling it a Fitness Bucket List.

  • Run a marathon: This will be happening in October at the Chicago Marathon
The start of the Chicago Marathon in 2015
  • Sub 2 hour half marathon: Hopefully this will happen soon. My current PR is 2:02:42, so I'm not too far off. 

  • Volunteer at an ultramarathon: Since I have been listening to the Ten Junk Miles podcast, I have learned a lot about ultramarathons. They actually sound like a lot of fun! I don't necessarily think that I want to run one, but I'd like to be a part of the atmosphere. One way to do this would be to volunteer to help out!

  • Win my age group in a triathlon: I have been steadily getting better at triathlons, and I think I am capable of being competitive in the sport. Most likely, this will happen at a sprint triathlon.

  • Complete an Olympic Triathlon: I have done several sprint triathlons, but I'd like to start increasing the distance that I'm capable of completing. I think I am probably in shape to do an Olympic Tri; I just need to overcome the mental barrier. :)

  • Complete a Half Ironman: I am not sure if I will ever do a full Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run), but I think I am capable of a Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). I am thinking that since I am focusing on running this year (training for the marathon), I may switch my focus to the triathlon next year.

  • Become a Certified Personal Trainer: In the fall at the co-rec at Purdue, the ACE Personal Training Prep Course is offered. The course is free, so you only have to pay to take the test at the end of the course. I wanted to do this last fall, but I had a conflict with another class I was taking. I'd like to make it a priority this fall, not because I'm necessarily interested in being a Personal Trainer (although I do think it'd be interest), but mostly because I want to learn more about fitness.

I think those are the main things on my Fitness Bucket List at the moment. I have done some cool things that would be on my bucket list if I hadn't already done them.
  • Complete a Half Marathon: I used to hate running, and I would have never guessed that I would do a half marathon. I was so nervous prior to the run, and until it was over, I wasn't sure I could do it. 
Nervous (and cold) before my first half marathon
  • Ragnar Race: I participated in the Chicago Ragnar Relay in the Summer of 2013 and had a ton of fun. It was a little stressful getting everything ready for the race (reserving vans, finding 12 people for a team, planning out food, etc), but we had a blast. I am doing a Ragnar Trail Half in September of this year, and I think that will also be a ton of fun!
Our Ragnar Team
I suppose there are other things that I have done that were Bucket List worthy, but those are the two main ones that stand out. I am excited to continue to improve my fitness levels, and to keep trying out new experiences. :)

What are some things on your running/fitness bucket list?
What cool events have you done that I should add to my bucket list? :)

6 comments:

  1. That's very cool that you can take the ACE course for free! I wouldn't want to be a PE either but I'm sure the course will be really informative. You'll have to share tips and insights on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will definitely share what I learn if I end up doing it! :)

      Delete
  2. Running provides us such in accomplishments and goals doesn't it....so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's part of what I love about running. :)

      Delete
  3. Thats a great bucket list! Exciting that you will be running your first marathon. And you are so close to that 2 hour half!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete