Monday, July 11, 2016

Marathon Monday: Week 5 and I'm Still Alive

Week 5 in my marathon training went really well! If you want to follow my progress from the beginning, you can find previous weeks here: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4

Monday was Fourth of July, and also a cross training day. We had spent the night at my friend's house in Chicago, so we went to breakfast when we woke up. Afterwards, we made the drive to my parents house to pick up the dog, and then drove home. Because of the drive, stopping at my parents, and the time change (Chicago is on Central Time, we are on Eastern Time), we didn't get home until about 4 pm. We were going to dinner with Dustin's good friend in Indianapolis for his birthday, which meant we had to leave our house by 5:30. I was going to skip cross training since we had gone kayaking the day before in Chicago, but I decided to at least fit a little bit in before we left. I ended up biking for 20 minutes which gave me 5.5 miles. It wasn't as long as I like to cross train, but I was happy that I at least biked for a bit.

Kayaking on July 3rd on the Chicago River

Tuesday included a 3 mile run, which I completed in the evening. It felt warm outside, but I was moving pretty quickly (even when I was on the trails!), and felt really great during the run. I ended up completing 3.1 miles at a 9:33 pace.

The Wednesday run is a mid-distance run throughout the plan. This week it was set at 6 miles. I left the house around 4:15 when I got home from campus, and it felt really hot. I knew about 2 miles in that it was not going to be a fun run. I ended up stopping multiple times to drink water or to walk for a minute. I ended up with a pace of 10:13, but that doesn't count the times I stopped, so it was certainly slower than that. Bleh.

On Thursday I decided to run in the morning with Nova. It was a 3 mile run, so we ran to the bog near our house, she swam in the middle of the run, and then we ran home. Sometimes I worry about taking a break in the middle of these runs to let her swim, but I figure they are supposed to be easy effort anyway, and I only do it once in awhile. We ran 3 miles at 10:12 pace.

Nova after we got home from swimming in the bog

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday was another 6 mile run, and I was determined to make it a good one to make up for Wednesday's suckfest 6 miler. I chose a course that was net downhill to help me. :) Overall though, the run did feel really great, and I felt strong throughout the run. I finished with 6.15 miles at 9:52 pace.

Sunday's long run was 12 miles. We decided to go hiking with our dog in the morning, so I decided to move my run to the evening. In retrospect (when my legs were dying on my run), this wasn't a great idea, but it ended up working out!

Hiking at Prophetstown State Park

I chose a different route than I normally run, which helped to make the run interesting. I also decided at the last minute to listen to podcasts while I was running. I had brought my phone and headphones in case I wanted to listen to anything at any point during the run, but I ended up putting my headphones in about a half mile into the run. I was tired from hiking and it was warm/sunny outside, so I needed the distraction. It worked, and the run went quite well. I finished with 12.1 miles at 10:45 pace.

Surprise trail closure--detoured!

As a bonus, Dustin picked me up afterwards (I had chosen a point to point route) with Chipotle in hand and we went to a local bar to eat/drink on the patio. Wonderful end to a long run. :)

Overall, this was another good week! I hit all my mileage, and the only thing I slacked on was cross training on Monday, which I don't feel too bad about. My weekly running mileage was 30.36 miles--my first time over 30 miles in a week! :) I was very excited to hit this milestone, and I am ready to continue increasing mileage.

How long is a normal cross training for you?
Favorite post long run routine?

3 comments:

  1. I like how you refer to Wednesday's run as a suckfest :) I think we all have those kinds of days! I actually think you do more harm than good when you don't listen to your body, esp when hot weather is involved. I am always in awe of marathon training because I'm not a good runner and can't imagine being able to run that much. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitting mileage, definitely a solid week. Post run chipotle sounds amazing but I can have chipotle ANY time lol. Post long run in the am is nice warm taquitos and post long run in the pm is a nice cold beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job last week! If I do the elliptical or bike or something as cross training I usually only do like 30-40 minutes. I am impressed that you went hiking in the morning before a long run!

    ReplyDelete