Friday, November 7, 2014

Motivation from an Olympian

Last night, Billy Mills came to Purdue to give a talk. If you don't know who Billy Mills is, stop everything you're doing and watch this video.


He is a Native American from South Dakota, so he talked a lot about the struggles that he faced growing up as a minority. He kept stressing that perceptions affect our lives so much--our perceptions about what we're capable of, our perceptions of others around us, other people's perceptions of us--they all directly affect our lives. It was very interesting to hear from this incredible athlete that he had many moments of doubting himself. He felt like he didn't belong, even when he worked very hard and clearly had proved himself as an athlete. You can read more about the talk here.

After leaving his talk, I felt very motivated. Not only about running (although watching him win from behind in the Olympics was pretty awe inspiring), but about life in general. One of his main messages was that it is important to have dreams, because dreams keep your soul in tact. He feels like if you don't have dreams, you don't have anything driving you, and it is very likely that you will feel incomplete. I am making it a personal goal over the next few days to think critically about what my dreams are. There are things that I'm currently pursuing, but I need to take some time to directly identify my true dreams. I encourage all of you to do the same!

On another note, I went for a run this morning. When I checked the temperature on my phone it said 30 degrees, which caused internal complaining about the cold, but I told myself that training my body is good for so many aspects of my life. Complaining isn't a good habit to get into, and I don't want to be a person who focuses on negativity. Once I told myself that, I actually felt content, and I had a great run. One thing I love about running in the cold is that I can keep my pace faster than in the summer--it makes me feel proud of my running. :) I tackled just over 3.5 miles this morning, which was a great way to start my day. :)


One last thing--my body warmed up pretty quickly during my run, but my hands were freezing. Does anyone have any good suggestions for running gloves? I can't handle many more runs where my hands go numb! :) Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment